Doctor of Medicine - 5.5 years (MD)
If you are passionate about health, biosciences and caring for people, then a Career in Medicine would be a great fit! Success in Medicine requires you to have a thirst for life-long learning and academic excellence!
Alexander American University offers an innovative Doctor of Medicine (MD) program designed for the students to meet their requirements in the premedical program and who do not hold a first degree but wish to earn a Doctor of Medicine degree. The program delivers advanced clinical and academic training to ensure students are prepared for the challenges of medical internship!
Developed in consultation with the doctors, healthcare professionals, students and leaders in the research sectors, the MD programs are developed to meet the current and future need of the students, patients and the changing healthcare sector.
• Full–time course for 5.5 years
• Three phases of the Program – Premedical (first 18 months), Preclinical (2 years) & Clinical Rotations (last 2 years)
• Students can either opt for the Normal track or USA track
• Normal track – the Premedical, Preclinical and Clinical are completely pursued in Guyana only
• In USA track – Premedical and Preclinical in Guyana & Clinical can be pursued in USA
• Classrooms are provided with Audio Visual Settings
• Clinical rotations in the strong affiliated local public hospitals
• Laboratory based education
• Plascinated bodies are used for studies
• 10 to 12 years of Education or Equivalent and from non-premedical backgrounds
• Skilled faculty with expert knowledge in the relevant areas
• Opportunity to pursue Clinical Rotations in USA
• Proper counseling for the students throughout the undergraduate career
• Good Career opportunities in and outside the country through the USMLE clearance
Alexander American University School Of Medicine curriculum provides a high quality medical education which encourages students to take active responsibility for their learning process and to prepare them for life-long, self-directed learning.
The Basic Science program is five terms in length and may be completed in twenty months. The Clinical Medicine program is composed of 88 weeks of clinical rotations at affiliated hospitals in the United States of America and Canada.
First two years of the Doctor of Medicine degree program concentrate on the traditional basic science disciplines. Laboratory experience is an integral part of these first two years, along with small group discussions designed for problem-based learning and early integration of the Basic Medical Sciences into the clinical experience.
Alexander American University approach to clinical education provides students with the opportunity to learn medicine in some of the best and best-known hospitals in the world. Located in the United States and Canada, some of these hospitals have been designated by the University as Clinical Centers. A Clinical Center is a hospital or group of hospitals able to provide at least four of the five core rotations, train 80-100 students at all times, and offer sub-internships, primary care, and elective rotations. The Clinical Centers allow students to complete all of their clinical training at one site if they wish.
During the Clinical Years, we emphasize responsibility, maturity, and compassion as important attributes in the development of professional excellence. Students are expected to learn how to conduct themselves in the professional role of physician and are judged on their ability to take responsibility, relate to and work harmoniously with professional colleagues, exhibit maturity in conduct on the wards, and demonstrate the disposition of a mature and qualified physician